Bah!

Sunday, April 24, 2005

5 am!

So New York is definitely the city that never sleeps. I was hanging with
my cousin Andrew, his roommate Su Hak (I'm sure I spelled that wrong),
their budy Bob, and a whole bunch of their friends. It was a wild time.
We had some bad luck at first, because it was raining, and the first
club we went to wasn't their thing. But it would have been "cheap" to be
there. We would have paid $300 for 10 people and 2 bottles of vodka,
mixers included. We had 10 people but the other guys wanted more Asians.
I was perfectly happy with the indian and white crowd that was there,
but hey, I wasn't driving the evening. Another note. I think this was
the first time in my life that I went out with a group that was entirely
Asian. Definitely strange for me, but it worked out ok. After thr bust
at the first club, we went to another club called stitch, and then
finally to a club called bob's. While my cousin and crew were trying to
pick up on chicks, I had a nice conversation with a Swiss girl who's
best friend and boyfriend were ignoring her. We mostly chatted about the
political differences between Switzerland and the US. Apparently the
rest of the world was just as shocked as I was that we re-elected Bush.
Before I knew it, it was 3:45 am. We then cabbed over to a noodle house
in china town, and now I'm back at my cousins apartment at 5 am.

Oh I saw the broadway musical Rent tonight. I know I said I hated the
music, but seeing it on Broadway totally changed my opinion of the
music. I highly recommend seeing this is you can.

And finally, my day was jampacked with activities. I woke up at 6am, got
ready caught the train at 7:50, and was in to the city by 9:00. It took
me about 45 minutes to get to my cousins apartment.

I caught up with Andrew for a while, since I haven't seen him in 8 or 9
years. The details are all fuzzy.

Anyway left his apartment and went to get in line for the Statue of
Liberty and Ellis Island. Wait was an hour and 15 minutes (yeah right,
because is stood there for 15 minutes and the line didn't move. The
weather was overcast and the visibility was poor, so I didn't feel like
spending 3 to 4 hours of the day on that. So instead I walked around the
financial district, checking out wall street and the New York Stock
Exchange.

Next was ground zero. It was very strange to see that site. I never had
the chance to see them, but I can imagine what it was like, and how
empty it is now. People were crying all over the place. The whole thing
was pretty emotional. I didn't expect that I would get choked up, but I
did. Unlike Matt's wedding, I didn't cry, but I was definitely moved. I
also found my neighbor's name on the memorial for those who lost their
lives in the Pentagon. He was one of those on the flight.

After that I met my cousin for lunch, then cruised into chinatown,
little italy. Soho, nyu, washington square park, greenwich village, then
began walking to broadway to see my show.

I'm tired. More to come later...
--Nick

2 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's 5am somewhere? How about an update you world traveler.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog has really gone downhill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home